Mexican Beef and Mushrooms Recipe
This main dish made an impression on our children. Now grown, every one of them has requested the recipe. Often, I stir my home-canned salsa into the mix.
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 jars (6 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook beef and onion in butter for 4-6 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- 2. Stir in the mushrooms, salsa, water, salt and chili powder. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- 3. Serve over rice and top with sour cream and cheese. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 420 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 122 mg cholesterol, 673 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 38 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC