Mexican Beef and Dumplings Recipe
"My husband and I love this spicy ground beef concoction seasoned with chili powder," shares Sue Gronholz of Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. "The cornmeal dumplings—are a fun variation, and they can be stirred up in no time.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the next eight ingredients. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2. For the dumplings, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt; stir in milk just until combined. Drop into eight mounds onto boiling mixture. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the dumplings test done. (Do not lift the cover while simmering.) Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 431 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 1,095 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 29 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC