Mexican Beef & Pasta Recipe
- 3 cups uncooked whole wheat spiral pasta
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Crushed tortilla chips, optional
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Stir in the pasta, tomatoes, beans, corn, salsa, green chilies, olives and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until heated through. Serve with sour cream and chips if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/4 cups beef mixture with 1 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream (calculated without chips) equals 305 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 737 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Reviews for Mexican Beef & Pasta
"I didn't have the salsa or the olives and chips. I sub'd canned corn and green olives. The green olives gave it a kick. Loved this. I can see using chicken in this recipe too."
"Family favorite - I have made over and over again. It's a keeper!"
"I cut the recipe in half which worked out well. I can't imagine how much it would make otherwise. ;) It was super simple, hearty and tasted good!"
"Delicious & super simple. However, I don't know how you're supposed to fit it all in one skillet! lol. By the time all the ingredients were added, I had to dump it all in a big pot. I didn't have taco seasoning, so I made my own (+ less sodium!) Still came out wonderfully. :)"
"This recipe made enough to feed an army. Way too much food for us - we'll be eating it all weekend. That said, it was really good. I left off the tortilla chips and sour cream to save calories, but I did put on a little shredded jack cheese. Pretty good!"
"This was very good and easy to put together. A nice quick and hearty meal. We all enjoyed it! Thank you for the recipe. Oh, and it makes a lot."
"My sister and I thought this tasted great! It made a huge amount."