Mexican Beef & Pasta Recipe
- 3 cups uncooked whole wheat spiral pasta
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Crushed tortilla chips, optional
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Stir in the pasta, tomatoes, beans, corn, salsa, green chilies, olives and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until heated through. Serve with sour cream and chips if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/4 cups beef mixture with 1 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream (calculated without chips) equals 305 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 737 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable.