Mexican Beans and Rice Recipe
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, green pepper and onion; cook and stir until tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, rice, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 7-9 minutes or until heated through. Top with cheese, sour cream and green onions. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Mexican Beans and Rice(10)
Sort By :
Definitely easy to fix. Tasted pretty good. Some garlic, hot sauce, and maybe some green chiles could punch up the flavor a bit. Very healthy with all of the veggies and brown rice.
I found this recipe to be unpleasantly wet and gloppy and without any actual 'mexican' flavor. Even after adding more chili powder, cumin and finally a packet of Sazon, it just tasted like bland rice which i was never able to get to dry out sufficiently. Will not make again.
This was good. Added the tomatoes with chilis and 1lb of smoked sausage cut into small pieces.
This was a great recipe to use up my miscellaneous vegetables and canned goods. You can't really go wrong. Adjust the herbs and seasoning to your liking and don't forget to add fresh ginger, yum!
This was a great dish, and I'm so glad I have leftovers for tomorrow! Wouldn't change a thing in the recipe.
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >