Mexican Bean Soup Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) hominy, drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning
- 1 envelope (1 ounce) original ranch dressing mix
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the next 10 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Garnish with cheese and sour cream if desired. Yield: 14-16 servings (4 quarts).
1 cup: 219 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 1251mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 16g protein
Reviews for Mexican Bean Soup
"Ive been making this for a while now and the family LOVES it. The taco seasoning makes it perfect..... great job."
"I have already used this recipe many times. However, I halve the ingredients as it makes a lot. This recipe is quick and simple."
"The soup was very good. It kind of tasted like the chili we make though. It's good with chips crushed into it; you just have to eat it before the chips get soggy. :)"
"prett yyummy i didnt add the cayenne because it was already pretty spicy for my little boys to handle. I also used ground turkey and loved the blend of flavors. id call it mexican chili - thats pretty much what it is :)"
"The whole family loved it. I am making it again but kicking up the spice factor a little bit with hot taco seasoning."
"Awesome Recipe, I make this for my Customers at Work everynow and then, they love it and it is requested. We add Black beans, Pinto Beans and Regular corn. I am going to try it with Black olives at Home. Love IT."
"I also used corn instead of hominy, red beans instead of kidney beans, and homemade taco seasoning. It was wonderful."
"Very tastey. I used low sodium tomatoes, and reduced sodium taco seasoning and the taste was still very good."
"This is the best bean soup recipe I have ever had. I use it for filling burritos as well. I have substituted corn for hominy and used different kinds of beans. Still a hit. It is a main staple around here."