Mexican Bean Soup
For our family's fall birthday bash, I make a big pot of this soup and serve it with plenty of oven-fresh corn bread.
14 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) hominy, drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning
- 1 envelope (1 ounce) original ranch dressing mix
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is
- no longer pink; drain. Add the next 10 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Garnish with cheese
- and sour cream if desired. Yield: 14-16 servings (4 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 219 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 1,251 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 16 g protein.