Mexican Bean Barley Soup Recipe
Wonderfully warming, this soup is always on the menu for the retreats we host on our woodland farm. Everyone enjoys spooning up its yummy vegetable broth and hearty mix of beans and barley. When I really want to bring smiles, I serve a basketful of my homemade onion-herb bread with it.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min. YIELD:7 servings
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 2 cups cooked barley
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onions and garlic in oil until tender. Add the turnip, carrot and jalapeno; cook and stir until tender. Add cumin and coriander; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2. Add the barley, beans and lemon juice. Simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until soup thickens slightly. Yield: 7 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 179 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 363 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC