Mexican Bean 'n' Barley Chili Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 each medium green and sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic in oil for 2 minutes. Stir in peppers; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until tender.
- 2. Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until barley is tender. Yield: 10 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
1-1/2 cup: 247 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 836mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 11g fiber), 11g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 1 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Mexican Bean 'n' Barley Chili
"This chili is very good. It is hearty and healthy and is great to have on hand for hectic times."