Chili powder adds just the right amount of “heat” to this filling, fast and fabulous vegetarian meal idea from Lana Day in Bloomington, Indiana. It’s one easy, cold-weather recipe the whole family will warm to…and it feeds a bunch!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 each medium green and sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic in oil for 2 minutes. Stir in peppers; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until barley is tender. Yield: 10 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Mexican Bean 'n' Barley Chili in Light & Tasty February/March 2007, p27
Reviews for Mexican Bean 'n' Barley Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 18, 2009
"This chili is very good. It is hearty and healthy and is great to have on hand for hectic times."