Chili powder adds just the right amount of “heat” to this filling, fast and fabulous vegetarian meal idea from Lana Day in Bloomington, Indiana. It’s one easy, cold-weather recipe the whole family will warm to…and it feeds a bunch!
Recommended: 99 of Our Favorite Chicken Dinner Ideas
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 each medium green and sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic in oil for 2 minutes. Stir in peppers; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until barley is tender. Yield: 10 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Mexican Bean 'n' Barley Chili in Light & Tasty February/March 2007, p27
Reviews for Mexican Bean 'n' Barley Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review