Mexicali Meat Loaf Recipe
My family got tired of the regular old meatloaf, so I decided to zip it up a bit this Mexican flair. It is now one of my family's favorite dinners.Brenda Stueve, Olpe, Kansas
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 8 slices process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 2 small green peppers, cut into rings
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Pat into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Add corn.
- Drain meat loaf; top with corn mixture and pepper rings. Bake 30 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mexicali Meat Loaf in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p27
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mexicali Meat Loaf(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Meat Loaf Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >