- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 4 bacon strips, halved
- 4 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 1 medium lime, cut into four wedges
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato, onion, jalapenos, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Chill until serving.
- Sprinkle chicken with taco seasoning; set aside. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain.
- If grilling the chicken, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 165°.
- Top with bacon and cheese; cook 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with salsa; squeeze lime wedges over top. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Mexicali Chicken
"Very good. I marinated the chicken breast in a little EVOO along with the taco seasoning which helps keep the breast moist while it cooks."
"Awesome chicken dish. I was actually quite disappointed to be full! With a little extra tomato and lime juice, as well as cilantro, the salsa gives a surprisingly spicy kick. Great recipe, can't wait to try it again."
"Love this recipe! Perfect summer dish with great flavor!"
Sounds great, thank you for all the reviews!"
"Easy!! Delicious!! A new go-to recipe."
"This was good except it needed more seasoning than just taco seasoning. I put more taco seasoning and also used some salt and garlic powder to help. I made the mistake of using a red onion which overpowered the salsa, but I'd make it again and just tweak the recipe."
"Very good recipe. Will definitely make again."
"My husband did not want to try it. I made it anyway and he tried it and he wants me to make it again. This is a keeper."
"this recipe was fantastic and totally a favorite now!! I used red onion for the onion and for bacon i used turkey bacon and it worked out still yummy! mmmmmmmmm"