Mexicali Chicken for Two Recipe
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 2 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, halved
- 2 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 2 lime wedges
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the tomato, onion, jalapeno, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Chill until serving.
- 2. Sprinkle chicken with taco seasoning; set aside. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain.
- 3. If grilling the chicken, using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- 4. Top with bacon and cheese; cook 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with salsa; squeeze lime wedges over top. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 228 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 532mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.