Mexicali Chicken for Two Recipe
“This recipe has been a family favorite for many years. It’s great served with Spanish rice and refried beans. Cilantro may be added to the salsa, if desired.” —Avanell Hewitt, North Richland Hills, Texas
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 2 bacon strips, halved
- 2 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 2 lime wedges
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato, onion, jalapeno, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Chill until serving.
- Sprinkle chicken with taco seasoning; set aside. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain.
- If grilling the chicken, using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- Top with bacon and cheese; cook 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with salsa; squeeze lime wedges over top. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Mexicali Chicken for Two in Healthy Cooking
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Mexicali Chicken for Two(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Bacon Recipes >
- BBQ Chicken Recipes >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Grilled Chicken Recipes >
- Grilling Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >