Mexicali Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/3 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook turkey, onions and pepper over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up turkey into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in beans, tomatoes, water, rice, olives, chili powder and salt.
- 2. Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, covered, 50-55 minutes or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 348 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 508 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable.