Mexi-Mac Skillet Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, water, chili powder, oregano and salt.
- 2. Bring to a boil; stir in macaroni. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-22 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup equals 283 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 716 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.