Mexi-Mac Casserole Recipe
Here’s one of my favorite all-in-one meals that uses items I typically have in the pantry. Green chilies give it just a little bite, but it’s easy to swap in a spicier can of tomatoes if you want to turn up the heat. —Jan Conklin, Stevensville, MT
- 1 package (7-1/4 ounces) macaroni and cheese dinner mix
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (7-3/4 ounces) Mexican-style hot tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1. Prepare macaroni and cheese mix according to package directions. Meanwhile, cook the beef, onion and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Add the diced tomatoes, green chilies and taco seasoning. Stir in 2 cups cheese, beans, corn, tomato sauce and prepared macaroni and cheese dinner.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with chips and remaining cheese.
Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC