Merry Christmas Scones Recipe
I keep a supply of scones in my freezer to pull out and glaze for drop-in holiday guests. They taste great alongside coffee or hot chocolate.—Joan Pecsek, Chesapeake, Virginia
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup red candied cherries, quartered
- 1/2 cup green candied cherries, quartered
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 4 to 5 teaspoons heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in eggnog just until moistened. Stir in pecans and candied cherries.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Transfer dough to a greased baking sheet. Pat into a 9-in. circle. Cut into 12 wedges, but do not separate.
- 3. Bake at 425° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over scones. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 scone equals 260 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 235 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC