Merry Christmas Rice Recipe
"INSTANT RICE makes this dish an instant success! It's another recipe I added 'by children's demand', and we've found it not only delicious, but a very colorful addition to our Christmas table."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 5 min. Cook: 25 min. + standing YIELD:6 servings
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 2 cups (1/2 pound) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1-1/3 cups quick-cooking rice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 apple, peeled and sliced
- 1. In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup water and 1 cup sugar; bring to a boil. Add the cranberries; return to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes or until most of the berries pop, stirring occasionally. Add rice, remaining water, remaining sugar, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in apple. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 278 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 51 mg sodium, 69 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC