Merry Berry Appetizer Recipe
Not only is this appetizer from Gloria Rohlfing of York, Pennsylvania a treat to eat, it shapes up into lots of fun, too. How so? Just by forming the soft cream cheese into a cane and spooning stripes of ruby-red cranberry concoction over the top of it. In no time you'll create a treat that looks as good as it tastes!—Gloria Rohlfing, York, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling YIELD:12-16 servings
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground allspice, cardamom, cloves and ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1-1/2 pounds cream cheese or Brie
- 1. Combine the cranberries, sugar, currants, water and spices in a non-aluminum saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes or until most of the berries have popped. Cool, then refrigerate.
- 2. If using cream cheese, shape into a candy cane if desired. Spoon cranberry mixture over cheese. Serve with crackers or sliced apples. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC