Meringues with Fresh Berries Recipe
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mixed fresh berries
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla.
- 2. Drop meringue into two mounds on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Shape into 3-1/2-in. cups with the back of a spoon.
- 3. Bake at 225° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine berries and sugar if desired; let stand for 5 minutes. Combine sour cream and extract; spoon into meringue shells. Top with berries. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (calculated without optional sugar) equals 222 calories, 7 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 149 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 fruit.