Meringues with Fresh Berries Recipe
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mixed fresh berries
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla.
- 2. Drop meringue into two mounds on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Shape into 3-1/2-in. cups with the back of a spoon.
- 3. Bake at 225° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine berries and, if desired, sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Combine sour cream and extract; spoon into meringue shells. Top with berries. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 222 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 0 fruit, 1 fat.
Reviews for Meringues with Fresh Berries
"This is the first time I have ever made any recipe with a meringue. I made two changes -- used fat free sour cream and almond extract instead of rum extract. I was very pleased with the results."