Meringue Torte with Peppermint Cream Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup crushed soft peppermint candies
- Chocolate curls and additional crushed soft peppermint candies
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add the water, vinegar, extract, salt and food coloring if desired; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 2. With a pencil, draw three 5-in. x 8-in. rectangles on a sheet of parchment paper. Place paper, pencil mark down, on baking sheets. Spread meringue evenly over each rectangle.
- 3. Bake at 300° for 20 minutes. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours. Remove from the oven and cool on baking sheets. When cooled completely, remove meringues from paper.
- 4. In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread over tops of meringues. In a large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold in peppermint candies.
- 5. Place a meringue shell on a serving plate; top with 2/3 cup peppermint cream. Repeat layers twice. Garnish with chocolate curls and additional crushed candies. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice equals 304 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 52 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.