Meringue Torte with Peppermint Cream Recipe
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup crushed soft peppermint candies
- Chocolate curls
- Additional crushed soft peppermint candies
- 1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Add water, vinegar, extract, salt and, if desired, food coloring; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 2. Preheat oven to 300°. With a pencil, draw three 5x8-in. rectangles on parchment paper. Place paper, pencil marks down, on baking sheets. Spread meringue evenly over each rectangle.
- 3. Bake 20 minutes. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours. Remove from oven; cool on baking sheets. When cooled completely, remove meringues from paper.
- 4. In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread a third of the chocolate mixture over each meringue. In a large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold in peppermint candies.
- 5. Place a chocolate-covered meringue on a serving plate; top with a third of the peppermint cream. Repeat layers twice. Top with chocolate curls and additional crushed candies. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 304 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Meringue Torte with Peppermint Cream
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.