Meringue Torte with Peppermint Cream Recipe
The mother of my brother-in-law, Bill, often made this melt-in-your-mouth torte. A few years after she passed away, I surprised him by serving it at Christmas. He was delighted.—Christine Venzon, Peoria, Illinois
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup crushed soft peppermint candies
- Chocolate curls
- Additional crushed soft peppermint candies
- 1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Add water, vinegar, extract, salt and, if desired, food coloring; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 2. Preheat oven to 300°. With a pencil, draw three 8x5-in. rectangles on parchment paper. Place paper, pencil marks down, on baking sheets. Spread meringue evenly over each rectangle.
- 3. Bake 20 minutes. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours. Remove from oven; cool on baking sheets. When cooled completely, remove meringues from paper.
- 4. In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread a third of the chocolate mixture over each meringue. In a large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold in peppermint candies.
- 5. Place a chocolate-covered meringue on a serving plate; top with a third of the peppermint cream. Repeat layers twice. Top with chocolate curls and additional crushed candies. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 304 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Meringue Torte with Peppermint Cream
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC