Meringue Torte with Peppermint Cream Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup crushed soft peppermint candies
- Chocolate curls and additional crushed soft peppermint candies
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add the water, vinegar, extract, salt and food coloring if desired; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 2. With a pencil, draw three 5-in. x 8-in. rectangles on a sheet of parchment paper. Place paper, pencil mark down, on baking sheets. Spread meringue evenly over each rectangle.
- 3. Bake at 300° for 20 minutes. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours. Remove from the oven and cool on baking sheets. When cooled completely, remove meringues from paper.
- 4. In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread over tops of meringues. In a large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold in peppermint candies.
- 5. Place a meringue shell on a serving plate; top with 2/3 cup peppermint cream. Repeat layers twice. Garnish with chocolate curls and additional crushed candies. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 304 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Meringue Torte with Peppermint Cream
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.