- Bake at 300° for 20 minutes. Turn oven off; leave meringues in
- oven for 1-1/2 hours. Remove from the oven and cool on baking
- sheets. When cooled completely, remove meringues from paper.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth.
- Spread over tops of meringues. In a large bowl, beat cream until
- stiff peaks form; fold in peppermint candies.
- Place a meringue shell on a serving plate; top with 2/3 cup
- peppermint cream. Repeat layers twice. Garnish with chocolate curls
- and additional crushed candies. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 304 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 52 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.