The mother of my brother-in-law, Bill, often made this melt-in-your-mouth torte. A few years after she passed away, I surprised him by serving it at Christmas. He was delighted.—Christine Venzon, Peoria, Illinois
Recommended: Grandma's Best Desserts
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup crushed soft peppermint candies
- Chocolate curls
- Additional crushed soft peppermint candies
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Add water, vinegar, extract, salt and, if desired, food coloring; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Preheat oven to 300°. With a pencil, draw three 8x5-in. rectangles on parchment paper. Place paper, pencil marks down, on baking sheets. Spread meringue evenly over each rectangle.
- Bake 20 minutes. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours. Remove from oven; cool on baking sheets. When cooled completely, remove meringues from paper.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread a third of the chocolate mixture over each meringue. In a large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold in peppermint candies.
- Place a chocolate-covered meringue on a serving plate; top with a third of the peppermint cream. Repeat layers twice. Top with chocolate curls and additional crushed candies. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Meringue Torte with Peppermint Cream in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p61
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Meringue Torte with Peppermint Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review