- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup ground pecans
- Place egg whites in a bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add the egg yolks, milk and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, pumpkin pie spice and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture until combined.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in nuts. Spread about 2 tablespoons over each cupcake.
- Bake 11-12 minutes longer or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Meringue-Topped Spice Cupcakes in Country Woman March/April 2004, p40
Reviews for Meringue-Topped Spice Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 3, 2008
"OK, but just ok"