- 2 large navel oranges
- 1 cup orange sherbet
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each orange so it sits flat. Cut a fourth off the top of each orange; scoop out pulp (save for another use). Fill orange shells with sherbet. Cover and freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
- In a small heavy saucepan over low heat, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating until egg mixture reaches 160°, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add extract; beat until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Place oranges on a baking sheet. Pipe meringue onto oranges. Bake at 425° for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Meringue-Topped Sherbet Oranges in Cooking for 2 Spring 2008, p35
Reviews for Meringue-Topped Sherbet Oranges
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review