Meringue-Topped Chocolate Bars Recipe
I was first introduced to this tasty treat at a friend's house in 1956. Since then, I have made these bars too many times to count! The secret to neatly slicing the bars is using a hot, wet knife. —Alice McMasters, Oxford, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling YIELD:8 servings
- 2/3 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon plus 3 tablespoons shortening, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash salt
- 1. In a microwave, melt milk chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon shortening; stir until smooth. Set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, cream sugar, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and remaining shortening until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Spread into an ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Spread chocolate evenly over crust.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat egg white on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes.
- 4. Carefully spread meringue over chocolate layer. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until top is dry. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars; refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 bar equals 200 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 53 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC