- 2/3 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon plus 3 tablespoons shortening, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash salt
- In a microwave, melt milk chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon shortening; stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, cream sugar, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and remaining shortening until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Spread into an ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Spread chocolate evenly over crust.
- In a small bowl, beat egg white on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes.
- Carefully spread meringue over chocolate layer. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until top is dry. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars; refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Meringue-Topped Chocolate Bars
"I made this this morning. I used 1/2 milk chocolate, and 1/2 semi sweet chips. That was the only thing I did different. It is wonderful! I would certainly make them again."
"Yuk! I doubled the recipe to put it into a 9x13. I used semi-sweet chips and it was still VERY sweet! Thank goodness I made this just to try and not for any special occasion! I don't usually comment on recipes but this downright awful!!! Eat a tablespoon of brown sugar instead, if you need a sweet fix!!"
"Excellent taste and my family enjoyed it--I made it in an 8x8 glass dish--very easy to make--used margerine instead of shortening--used regular choc chips--next time I will double the recipe and put in a 9 x 9 dish--next time I will add a few tablespoons of choc cream cheese as well to the melted choc"
"I doubled the recipe and put it in a 9 x9 pan. Probably should have put in a 9 x 13 as I haveto spoon it out of the pan. Next time I will use semi sweet chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate. Think its just a preference"
"These were great and very well received at our family dinner. One issue, with 28g of carbs I would not put this in the diabetic friendly category. :0)"
"shermanhenryfloyd....some people can't read. LOL!"
"I made this for a Valentines Day potluck at the office, and added some finely chopped pecans to the chocolate mixture and they disappeared in minutes with a request to make another batch!"
"Have not made these yet, but"copperpenny" if you look at the review right below yours, you will note that doubling and putting in a 9x13 pan is an option."
"There should be a box for 'I don't know if I would make it again. Seems like an awful lot of work to just make 8 pieces. Can this be doubled or trippled and put in a larger pan?"
"I tried the original recipe on my friends with the exception of the chocolate chips. I used 1/2 semi-sweet and 1/2 milk chocolate. Gave it perfect balance for the sweet. We all loved it!! Next time I'm going to double it and put it in a 9X13. Easy to make, sooooo easy to eat."