Meringue-Topped Chocolate Bars Recipe
- 2/3 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon plus 3 tablespoons shortening, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash salt
- In a microwave, melt milk chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon shortening; stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, cream sugar, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and remaining shortening until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Spread into an ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Spread chocolate evenly over crust.
- In a small bowl, beat egg white on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes.
- Carefully spread meringue over chocolate layer. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until top is dry. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars; refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Meringue-Topped Chocolate Bars(10)
Sort By :
I made this this morning. I used 1/2 milk chocolate, and 1/2 semi sweet chips. That was the only thing I did different. It is wonderful! I would certainly make them again.
Yuk! I doubled the recipe to put it into a 9x13. I used semi-sweet chips and it was still VERY sweet! Thank goodness I made this just to try and not for any special occasion! I don't usually comment on recipes but this downright awful!!! Eat a tablespoon of brown sugar instead, if you need a sweet fix!!
Excellent taste and my family enjoyed it--I made it in an 8x8 glass dish--very easy to make--used margerine instead of shortening--used regular choc chips--next time I will double the recipe and put in a 9 x 9 dish--next time I will add a few tablespoons of choc cream cheese as well to the melted choc
I doubled the recipe and put it in a 9 x9 pan. Probably should have put in a 9 x 13 as I haveto spoon it out of the pan. Next time I will use semi sweet chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate. Think its just a preference
These were great and very well received at our family dinner. One issue, with 28g of carbs I would not put this in the diabetic friendly category. :0)
More Recipe Collections
- Bar Recipes >
- Chocolate Bar Recipes >
- Chocolate Bar Recipes >
- Chocolate Bars >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Dessert Recipes >
- Chocolate Desserts >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Magazine >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Desserts for Two >
- Desserts Recipes For Two >