Meringue Santa Hats Recipe
My grandkids love it when I make meringues shaped like Santa hats. If they are here, they love to help—they like to put red glitter on the meringue and take such pride in knowing they have helped Grandma.—Bonnie Hawkins, Elkhorn, Wisconsin
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Red colored sugar
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 250°. Add cream of tartar and vanilla to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- 3. Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a #8 round tip. Fill bag with one-fourth of the meringue; set aside. Prepare a second piping bag, using a #12 round tip; fill with remaining meringue.
- 4. Using bag with the #12 tip, pipe 36 Santa hat triangles (2 in. tall) onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle with red sugar. Use first bag to pipe white trim and pompoms on hats.
- 5. Bake 40-45 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1 hour.
- 6. Remove hats from paper. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Yield: 3 dozen.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC