Meringue Santa Hats Recipe
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Red colored sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250°. Add cream of tartar and vanilla to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a #8 round tip. Fill bag with one-fourth of the meringue; set aside. Prepare a second piping bag, using a #12 round tip; fill with remaining meringue.
- Using bag with the #12 tip, pipe 36 Santa hat triangles (2 in. tall) onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle with red sugar. Use first bag to pipe white trim and pompoms on hats.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1 hour.
- Remove hats from paper. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Meringue Santa Hats in Country Woman 2013
Reviews for Meringue Santa Hats
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review