Meringue Rhubarb Pie Recipe
My husband and brother, former "rhubarb haters", now can't wait for the first stalks of that plant to appear, heralding spring and their favorite pie!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. For crust, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add the flour, oats and salt and mix well. Press over the bottom and sides of a 9-in. pie plate. Cover and refrigerate.
- 2. Combine rhubarb and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Combine the sugar, flour and salt; add to the rhubarb mixture. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Cool slightly.
- 3. Pour filling into crust. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Beat in vanilla. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 386 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 363 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC