- Cover and refrigerate.
- Combine rhubarb and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring
- constantly. Combine the sugar, flour and salt; add to the rhubarb
- mixture. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and
- bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the
- heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all
- to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2
- minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Cool slightly.
- Pour filling into crust. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed
- until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a
- time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Beat in vanilla. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until the meringue is golden
- brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3
- hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 386 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 363 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.