Meringue Pudding Cups Recipe
My mother, who didn't own a cookbook, created this recipe. She fussed over ingredients until she was satisfied with the results. With nine children to feed on a limited budget, she came up with many variations of the same dish. This dessert was a special treat. -Mary McMenamin, Spring City, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:2 servings
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 16 squares)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 1 package (3 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1. In a bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, butter, sugar and water; press onto the bottom and up the sides of two 10-oz. custard cups. Bake at 350° for 6 minutes or until crust is lightly browned; set aside.
- 2. In a saucepan, combine the milk and pudding mix; prepare according to package directions. Keep warm. In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Spoon warm pudding into crust; spread with meringue, sealing edges to crust.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 654 calories, 23 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 790 mg sodium, 100 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC