These crunch meringue shells will have guests "oohing" and "aahing." Topped with your favorite fresh fruit, they're pretty served with a spring meal.—Taste of Home Cooking School, Greendale, Wisconsin
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Fresh fruit such as sliced fresh strawberries, fresh raspberries, mandarin oranges or cubed fresh pineapple
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for
- 30 minutes. Beat the egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar on
- medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1
- tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- Drop meringue into eight mounds on a parchment paper-lined baking
- sheet. Shape into 3-in. cups with the back of a spoon. Or, place
- meringue mixture in pastry bag fitted with star tip. Pipe meringue
- onto parchment paper to form eight 3-in. cups.
- Bake at 275° for 45-50 minutes or until set and dry. Turn off
- oven and do not open door; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour. Fill
- with fruit. Yield: 8 servings.