Meringue Nests Recipe
These crunch meringue shells will have guests "oohing" and "aahing." Topped with your favorite fresh fruit, they're pretty served with a spring meal.—Taste of Home Cooking School, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Fresh fruit such as sliced fresh strawberries, fresh raspberries, mandarin oranges or cubed fresh pineapple
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Beat the egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- 2. Drop meringue into eight mounds on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Shape into 3-in. cups with the back of a spoon. Or, place meringue mixture in pastry bag fitted with star tip. Pipe meringue onto parchment paper to form eight 3-in. cups.
- 3. Bake at 275° for 45-50 minutes or until set and dry. Turn off oven and do not open door; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour. Fill with fruit. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC