Meringue Nests Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Fresh fruit such as sliced fresh strawberries, fresh raspberries, mandarin oranges or cubed fresh pineapple
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Beat the egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- 2. Drop meringue into eight mounds on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Shape into 3-in. cups with the back of a spoon. Or, place meringue mixture in pastry bag fitted with star tip. Pipe meringue onto parchment paper to form eight 3-in. cups.
- 3. Bake at 275° for 45-50 minutes or until set and dry. Turn off oven and do not open door; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour. Fill with fruit. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Meringue Nests
"I will continue to look for a good meringue recipe. I made this recipe with the intent to crumble the meringue nests and use in another recipe. I was going to fill the remaining uncrumbled meringues with fruit. I baked according to the directions, but mine seemed to be overly browned."
"This is a yes but. I used to make this recipe in our old house with a wonderful Thermador wall oven (electric). Never had a problem. Now we are living in another house where the previous owners installed an expensive Thermador range with a gas oven. To say that I hate the gas oven for baking is an understatement. I just inspected the nests after 20 minutes. They were brown and the top and crumbling. There goes my dessert for tonight. I wish I could say the same for the stove. I will give this recipe five stars because I've made it before with no problems. The oven gets no stars."
"this is such a nice recipe, quick and easy. I did find the ready made meringue nests, large and minis on a website called wishuponaplate(dot)com"
"I love these, they're easy to make and a great light dessert after a large meal"
"how far in advance can these be made"
"Been a while since I have mademeringue nest for dessert. Love to put a lite pudding in shell and top with fresh fruit and whipping cream....guest go crazy. I have hostess duty at the end of April for our CWF group at church. We are having a Spring theme for the evening. This dessert will be the topper! Thanks"