There's a nice chocolaty surprise inside these sweet kisses. They're my husband's top choice each Christmas.—Tami Henke, Lockport, Illinois
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red and green food coloring, optional
- 44 milk chocolate kisses
- Baking cocoa, optional
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Beat egg whites until foamy. Sprinkle with cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and vanilla, beating until stiff peaks form, about 5-8 minutes. If desired, divide batter in half and fold in red and green food coloring.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 1-1/2-in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie and cover it with meringue, using a knife.
- Bake at 275° for 30-35 minutes or until firm to the touch. Immediately remove to a wire rack to cool. If desired, sprinkle with cocoa. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 44 cookies.
Originally published as Meringue Kisses in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1997, p30
Reviews for Meringue Kisses
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review