Almond-flavored meringue, a fudgy filling and a sprinkling of pistachio nuts make these bite-size morsels a special addition to any holiday dessert tray. -Charlotte Elliott Neenah, Wisconsin
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- FUDGE TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachio nuts
- Place egg whites in a small bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Beat egg whites with almond extract, cream of tartar and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Drop meringue mixture by teaspoonfuls onto prepared sheets. With a small spoon, make a small indentation in the center of each. Bake at 250° for 30-35 minutes or until dry to the touch.
- For topping, combine chocolate chips and butter in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Combine egg yolks and confectioners' sugar. Reduce heat to low. Gradually whisk into chocolate mixture. Cook and stir for 1 minute longer or until mixture reaches 160°. Cool to room temperature, whisking several times. Spoon into center of meringue. Sprinkle with nuts. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Meringue Fudge Drops in Taste of Home December/January 2004, p31
Reviews for Meringue Fudge Drops
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review