Suggested Romance: If you don't have time to pipe the meringue could be spooned into 2-in. circles. Extract flavorings could be added to the meringues to change the flavor.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Food coloring, optional
- 3/4 cup sugar
- White pearl or coarse sugar, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 300°. Add vanilla, cream of tartar and if desired food coloring to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert #3 star pastry tip. Fill bag with meringue. Pipe 2-in. circles or shapes 2 in. apart onto prepared baking sheets. If desired, sprinkle with pearl sugar.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Meringue Drops in Simple & Delicious March/April 2006, p53
Reviews for Meringue Drops
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review