- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Food coloring, optional
- 3/4 cup sugar
- White pearl or coarse sugar, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add vanilla, cream of tartar and food coloring if desired; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert #3 star pastry tip. Fill bag with meringue. Pipe 2-in. circles or shapes 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle with pearl sugar if desired.
- Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews for Meringue Drops
Sort By :
I used peppermint extract instead of vanilla which was tasty, but I think leaving them in the oven for an hour is a little long, they seemed to be too done.
To change this up, I added a good 1 1/2 tablespoons of raspberry jello powder at the point of mixing in the sugar and finished by topping the piped meringue with white decorative coarse sugar before baking. The gelatin mix added a nice flavor and color. (You could use most any flavor) These were light and airy and reminded me of cotton candy.
Very tasty! So light and airy and crunchy. And very easy to make!