Suggested Romance: If you don't have time to pipe the meringue could be spooned into 2-in. circles. Extract flavorings could be added to the meringues to change the flavor.
24 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Food coloring, optional
- 3/4 cup sugar
- White pearl or coarse sugar, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for
- 30 minutes. Add vanilla, cream of tartar and food coloring if
- desired; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat
- in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert #3
- star pastry tip. Fill bag with meringue. Pipe 2-in. circles or
- shapes 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with pearl sugar if desired.
- Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until set and dry. Turn oven
- off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour. Store in an airtight
- container. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 27 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein.