Meringue Coconut Brownies Recipe
Looking for an ooey-gooey brownie that's delicious and different? this sweet recipe combines a shortbread-like crust and a brown sugar meringue with chocolate, coconut and nuts. These never last long!
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream the butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture just until blended (batter will be thick). Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips, coconut and walnuts.
- 2. In another large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over the top.
- 3. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 brownie equals 158 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 79 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC