Meringue Candy Canes Recipe
These red-and-white striped treats get lots of compliments for their cute looks and minty taste. The seasonal confections are easy to make and so light that they melt in your mouth! —Anne Lindway of Indianapolis, Indiana
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Red paste food coloring
- 1. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes. Beat in peppermint extract.
- 2. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry bag; insert star tip #21. With a new painbrush, brush three evenly spaced 1/4-in. strips of red food coloring on the inside of the bag from the tip to three-fourths of the way to the top of the bag. Carefully fill bag with meringue.
- 3. Pipe 3-in. candy canes onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 225° for 25 minutes; rotate baking sheets to a different oven rack. Bake 25 minutes longer or until firm to the touch. Turn oven off; leave cookies in oven with door ajar for at least 1 hour or until cool. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 cookie equals 13 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: Free food.
Reviews for Meringue Candy Canes
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC