Meringue Berry Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted and ground
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- SAUCE AND TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 2 cups mixed fresh berries
- 1. For meringue, in a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar, almonds and cornstarch; set aside. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Fold in almond mixture. Spread evenly over the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate.
- 2. Bake at 275° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until light golden brown. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. For sauce, combine sugar and cornstarch in a large saucepan. Gradually stir in water until smooth; add raspberries. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Set aside to cool.
- 4. Scoop ice cream into crust; top with mixed berries and sauce. Freeze leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 295 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Meringue Berry Pie
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.