Meringue Berry Pie Recipe
A hot day calls for a cool dessert like this tempting pie. Fresh berries and a sweet raspberry sauce over ice cream in a meringue crust make each slice absolutely irresistible. -Page Alexander, Baldwin City, Kansas
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted and ground
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- SAUCE AND TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 2 cups mixed fresh berries
- 1. For meringue, in a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar, almonds and cornstarch; set aside. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Fold in almond mixture. Spread evenly over the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate.
- 2. Bake at 275° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until light golden brown. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. For sauce, combine sugar and cornstarch in a large saucepan. Gradually stir in water until smooth; add raspberries. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Set aside to cool.
- 4. Scoop ice cream into crust; top with mixed berries and sauce. Freeze leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 295 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Meringue Berry Pie
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC