Memorable Biscotti Recipe
The enticing aroma of anise filled the kitchen and wafted through the house as Mom baked these crisp cookies when I was a girl. Mom always kept a big glass jar filled so we had a supply of these traditional cookies on hand. —Cookie Curci, San Jose, California
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in almonds.
- 2. Line a baking sheet with foil and grease the foil. Divide dough in half. On the foil, form each portion into an 11-in. x 3-in. rectangle.
- 3. Bake at 300° for 35 minutes or until lightly browned. Carefully remove to wire racks; cool for 15 minutes. Increase heat to 325°.
- 4. Transfer rectangles to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a serrated knife into 3/4-in. slices. Place cut side down on ungreased baking sheets.
- 5. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn and bake 10 minutes longer or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 317 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 295 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC