Melted Witch Puddles Recipe
In honor of the doomed wicked witch in "The Wizard of Oz," we had fun fashioning these simply delicious snacks using a variety of convenience foods. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour + chilling YIELD:36 servings
- 1 teaspoon water
- 4 drops yellow food coloring
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons shortening, divided
- 36 chocolate cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies
- 36 Bugles
- 4 cups vanilla or white chips
- 36 pretzel sticks
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine water and food coloring; add coconut. Seal bag and shake to tint coconut; set aside. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons shortening; stir until smooth.
- 2. For witches' hats, place about 1/3 cup chocolate mixture in a resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe a small amount of chocolate on a cookie. Dip a Bugle in some of the remaining chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Position over chocolate on cookie, forming a witch's hat. Set on waxed paper to dry. Repeat with remaining chocolate, Bugles and cookies.
- 3. For puddles, melt vanilla chips and the remaining shortening; stir until smooth. Place mixture in a large heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe mixture into the shape of a puddle onto waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
- 4. Immediately place a witch's hat on the puddle. Place a pretzel stick alongside the hat; sprinkle reserved tinted coconut at the end of the pretzel stick. Repeat with remaining puddles, hats and brooms. Chill for 15 minutes or until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 244 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 117 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC