- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Cut three 25x3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on bottom and up sides of a 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- Combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a round loaf; place in center of strips in slow cooker. Cook, covered, until a thermometer reads at least 160°, 5-6 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Spoon over meat loaf. Cook until heated through, about 15 minutes longer. Using foil strips as handles, remove meat loaf to a platter. Let stand 10-15 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Melt-in-Your-Mouth Meat Loaf
"Was soo good -my husband and thought it was the best meatloaf we've had-just make sure you set it on low -I made that mistake the first time-my stupid crockpot has 4,6,8,10timer-I guess I was a little stupid myself for not putting it on low for 5-6 hrs."
"This meatloaf is literally one of the BEST I've ever tasted. I absolutely love that I can cook it in the crockpot- nothing like coming home from a long days work to the smell of a home cooked meal! I was hesitant on the ketchup sauce topping because of my former experiences with ketchup topped meatloaf but can I just say that it completed the taste and it was exceptional. I did want to prepare a few loaves to freeze and cook later but I don't think I can because of the egg and milk in the recipe - I've read that they separate once frozen. If anyone has info on this that would be great!"
"Outstanding. Changed a few things. Definitely add green pepper & onion."
"I have made this meatloaf several times.. I add chopped onion, chopped green pepper to it and it is delicious! I make it with or without the sauce, When making without the sauce, I make gravy and mashed potatoes, when making the sauce I make twice the sauce and serve it with scalloped potatoes."
"First-rate! I added additional onions both in the meatloaf & around it. Easy prep makes this a dish I will favor. I grew up on baked, dry meatloaf until my brother came home with a new recipe for meatloaf that included liquid (milk) to make it more moist. My mom ditched her dry meat loaf recipe after that & we found a few other recipes along the way."
"This is a one sad dish. I have never made nor eaten anything so disgusting in my time of cooking. There was no taste, no spice, no nothing. The dried minced onions do little for the recipe toward enhancing the flavour. I suggest some real onions as a substitute and maybe some shredded carrots for colour. Actually, I'd remove this recipe from you list. This is NOT a crockpot meal, full stop. I wasted a lot of money buying top mince to make this and the dish was a failure. I am glad we did not have guest for this meal."
"I have to give this only 3 stars because the texture was way too moist for me. The flavor was fantastic, but I couldn't stomach the wetness of this meatloaf. I will make this again but adjust the liquid ingredients for sure."
"Made this yesterday and both my husband and I really enjoyed it. I did take a reviewer's suggestion and used a package of onion soup mix as I didn't have the minced onion and sage and that gave it a nice flavor."
"yes you can use ground turkey. I use the 97% lean Shad Brook Farms ground turkey breast. Put the sauce ingredients on the bottom and cook for 3 hours on high. Perfect EVERY time.... Bonus is I don't have to turn on my stove :-)"
"Quick, easy and delicious! I am a crockpot queen so this recipe absolutely rocks. I will only fix it this way from now on. Love, love, love it and so does every member of my family!"