- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- FROSTING :
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Yellow colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. flower-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a bowl, beat cream cheese, shortening and extracts until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Spread over cookies; sprinkle with colored sugar. Let stand until set. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews for Melt-In-Your-Mouth Lemon Cutouts
"These cookies were tasty and flavorful; however, I found the dough to be difficult to roll. It was very crumbly. I would not make this recipe again."
"These are delicious! I must have rolled the dough out thicker than the recipe called for because I only got 2 dozen cookies."