- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4-1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Place the onion, green pepper and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add the roast. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, broth, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic, soy sauce, pepper and pepper flakes; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices if necessary; transfer to a small saucepan. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Melt-In-Your-Mouth Chuck Roast
Sort By :
"I used a beef tender chuck roast.... It was so tough and definitely a bit too sweet. So I think I just used the wrong cut of meat...."
"Most definitely melt in your mouth for sure!! The spices permeate the meat. Good flavor combination. This dish goes well with a baked potato or mashed potatoes. Nice twist on a classic dish."
"My family enjoyed this. After reading the other reviews before making it, I omitted the sugar and waited until the last two hours to put in the green peppers. Didn't miss the sugar and the peppers were still mushy but was very flavorful. We'll make it again!"
"Kind of spicy and too sweet. Didn't like tomatoes and ketchup"
"This was wonderful, truly melt in your mouth AND if you use gluten free soy sauce it becomes GF, which means the kids get gravy over their mashed potatoes!!!"