Melon Swan Fruit Bowl Recipe
REMEMBER the fable about the ugly duckling who turned into an elegant swan? Our kitchen crafters do! They took their cue from that tale to transform a plain melon into this latest “Crafting with Taste” beauty. You can easily do the same. Select a ripe honeydew melon, pull out a sharp kitchen knife and start cutting, following the easy instructions here. Then top the table with this swan server for any kind of festive function—and be prepared for a smile to crop up on everyone’s face!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large honeydew melon
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 medium peach
- Fresh mint (optional)
- 1. Directions: With a sharp knife, cut a thin slice from the bottom of the melon so it sits level.
- 2. Place a sheet of waxed paper over the swan pattern and trace with fine-line permanent marker. Cut out pattern. Place pattern on melon so the base of the swan’s neck is
- 3. at the lower, broader end of melon. Attach pattern to melon with masking tape (see photo 1).
- 4. With a sharp knife, trace over the design outline on the rind (the pattern is for the neck, head and sides of swan; the tail is cut without a pattern). After tracing, reverse the pattern. Lay it
- 5. on the opposite side of the melon with the base of the neck overlapping the traced neck. Trace only the side wing portion of the pattern (see photo 2).
- 6. Mark the ends of the traced lines on each side of the melon with toothpicks. Mark the center of this area with another toothpick. Beginning in the middle and working toward the toothpicks, cut four tall peaks (as shown in photo 3) into the rind to form the tail. Remove the toothpicks after cutting.
- 7. With knife, retrace designs, cutting deeper into melon. Cut and remove unwanted portions of rind in small sections (see photo 4).
- 8. Remove and discard seeds. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-inch shell. Cut melon into bite-size pieces. Slice the peach.
- 9. In a large bowl, combine melon, berries and peach slices. Spoon into the swan shell and place on a serving platter. Garnish with
- 10. mint and additional strawberries if desired. Yield: 1 Melon Swan Fruit Bowl.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC