- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 cups torn romaine
- 8 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients until blended; if desired, stir in cayenne. Add tomato, cucumber, onion and olives; toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
- To serve, add lettuce to vegetables; toss to combine. Spoon into pita halves; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Mediterranean Vegetable Pitas
"I will use Kalamata olives instead of the ripe olives - which have no flavor, in my opinion. I know this will become a lunch favorite for us. Thanks much!"
"We really liked this! I did not add the olives and served it on a salad. Very good! I did take a hunk of italian bread and dip it in the marinade and thought is was great!"
"I didn't really care for these, but my husband and 2 kids them so I guess the recipe is a keeper!"
"I liked this dish, I thought it had a lot of flavor."
"great, l added cilantro and l couldn't fine small pita pockets so l cut mine in quarters. I served with fresh tomato soup. Yummy!"