Craving a fast and healthy meal? This one packs tomato, cucumber, onion and olives. Add a touch of cayenne for a punch. — Ivy Abbadessa, Loxahatchee, Florida
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 cups torn romaine
- 8 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients until blended; if desired, stir in cayenne. Add tomato, cucumber, onion and olives; toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
- To serve, add lettuce to vegetables; toss to combine. Spoon into pita halves; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mediterranean Vegetable Pitas in Taste of Home June/July 2013
Reviews for Mediterranean Vegetable Pitas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review