Mediterranean Spinach & Beans Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and quartered
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- Additional olive oil, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 6-8 minutes or until liquid is almost evaporated.
- 3. Add beans, artichoke hearts and spinach; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Drizzle with additional oil if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups (calculated without additional oil): 194 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 687mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 9g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Mediterranean Spinach & Beans
"Yummy and very easy to make. A quick, weeknight meal. It's not very hearty so it definitely does not make four large servings. The second time we made this, I doubled the recipe and served with couscous. That helped round out the meal."
"This dish was really good and not spicy at all. My only complaint was no meat, so I just added some cut up chicken breast. I really love this dish cold, but its great either way."
"This was good. Spicy and flavorful. I wouldn't have minded a few more beans because I like the beans, but a whole nother can would've been too much. I did use about half the spinach called for, just because that is all I had on hand."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.