Mediterranean Seafood Stew Recipe
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1/2 pound plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1/3 cup white wine or additional clam juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound orange roughy or red snapper fillets, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound sea scallops
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add 1/2 teaspoon garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, lemon peel and pepper flakes; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add the clam juice, wine or additional clam juice, tomato paste and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- 2. Add the fish, shrimp, scallops and parsley. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork, the shrimp turn pink and scallops are opaque. Combine mayonnaise and remaining garlic; dollop onto each serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup stew with 2 teaspoons mayonnaise topping equals 221 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 607 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Mediterranean Seafood Stew
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.