Mediterranean Salad Sandwiches Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 cups spring mix salad greens
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted Greek olives
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 slices sourdough bread, toasted and halved
- 1. In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon oil, garlic and salt; brush over mushrooms.
- 2. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill mushrooms, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until tender.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the salad greens, tomato, peppers, cheese and olives. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oregano and remaining oil. Pour over salad mixture; toss to coat.
- 4. Layer each of four half-slices of toast with a mushroom and 3/4 cup salad mixture; top with remaining toast. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving equals 225 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 495 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 fat, 1 starch.