Mediterranean Salad Sandwiches Recipe
These hearty, fresh-flavored sandwiches taste like a summer salad on a bun. Add iced tea, a side of sorbet and call it an easy supper! —Candice Garcia, Winter Haven, Florida
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 cups spring mix salad greens
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted Greek olives
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 slices sourdough bread, toasted and halved
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon oil, garlic and salt; brush over mushrooms.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill mushrooms, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the salad greens, tomato, peppers, cheese and olives. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oregano and remaining oil. Pour over salad mixture; toss to coat.
- Layer each of four half-slices of toast with a mushroom and 3/4 cup salad mixture; top with remaining toast. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mediterranean Salad Sandwiches in Healthy Cooking August/September 2008, p21
Reviews for Mediterranean Salad Sandwiches(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Sandwich Recipes >
- Greek Recipes >
- Greek Vegetarian Recipes >
- Grilled Mushrooms >
- Grilling Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Sandwich Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Sandwiches >
- Mushroom Grilling Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >