I first made this recipe one cold winter day. My family (adults, kids and dogs) were having a blast sledding and playing in the snow all day, and when we came inside supper was ready! This pot roast is perfect served with mashed potatoes, rice or crusty dinner rolls.—Holly Battiste, Barrington, New Jersey
- 2 pounds potatoes (about 6 medium), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 5 medium carrots (about 3/4 pound), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 large fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced Greek olives
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Place potatoes and carrots in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle flour over all surfaces of roast. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown roast on all sides. Place over vegetables.
- Add mushrooms, celery, onion, olives and 1/4 cup parsley to slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix remaining ingredients; pour over top.
- Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove beef. Stir remaining parsley into vegetables. Serve beef with vegetables. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Mediterranean Pot Roast Dinner in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2014, p14
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Mediterranean Pot Roast Dinner
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review